Fellowships at the IfA
The IfA encourages applications to post-doctoral research fellowship schemes to be hosted here.
This includes short-duration early-career fellowships, e.g.:
- Marie Curie Fellowships (next deadline 9th Sept 2020)
- 1851 Fellowships (next deadline Autumn 2020)
- Newton International Fellowships (for non-UK scientists, next call January 2021)
- Leverhulme Early Career Fellowships (for interdisciplinary proposals, next deadline Feb 2021)
- Royal Astronomical Society and Norman Lockyer Fellowships (next deadline Autumn 2021 - no call in 2020)
It also includes longer senior postdoctoral fellowships and grants, typically for researchers more than ~4 years out of their PhD
- Royal Society University Research Fellowships (RSURF, next deadline 3rd Sept 2020)
- STFC Ernest Rutherford Fellowships (ERF, next deadline Sept 2020)
- UKRI Hawking Fellowships (currently unknown expected before end of 2020)
- UKRI Future Leader Fellowships (FLF, next deadline January 2021)
- Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowships (for researchers who require a flexible working pattern, next deadline 10th Nov 2020)
How to apply
People interested in applying for any fellowship to be hosted at IfA should, in the first instance (and as early as possible), contact a relevant member of academic staff who would be prepared to sponsor any application.
In order to be considered for the RSURF, ERF or FLF senior fellowships listed above, the applicant must then submit a general proposal to the School of Physics and Astronomy Fellowship Panel (see this page for details) by July 17th 2020 for fellowships with Autumn deadlines. The fellowship panel selects candidates for fellowships where there is a quota per Institute (e.g Rutherford and FLF), and ensures that candidates are sufficiently experienced to apply for the RSURF fellowship. We intend to announce our Rutherford candidate selection by mid-August this year.
Once approved (by the fellowship panel for senior postdoctoral fellowships, or by your sponsor in the case of early-career fellowships), the School's grants team will then provide support and advice on internal deadlines. Note that internal deadlines are likely to be notably in advance of the formal fellowship deadline.