Active Galactic Nuclei
AGN research at the IfA
Active Galactic Nuclei are exceptionally bright regions in the cores of distant galaxies, powered by accretion onto super-massive black holes. AGN research at the IfA includes:
- Optical and X-ray AGN variability, and changing-look quasars
- Multiwavelength spectral energy distributions of AGN.
- Observational studies of obscured AGN
- Studies of AGN host galaxies and their environment.
- AGN feedback, and its role in shaping galaxy evolution
- Cosmic evolution of AGN activity
- Deep and wide radio surveys
- Studies of relativistic jets and particle acceleration.